Tuesday 19 June 2012

Toku Tasters

Every so often I like to have a taster watch of some series of Anime and Tokusatsu. I watch up to episode 5 of a series and see whether it's good enough to come back to later or whether to drop it by episode 2. I recently did so for several Tokusatsu series most of which I dropped and i just wanted to put my reasons for why on here. You may not agree with them all but I hope they may be a bit influential - 
Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan - the 5th ever series of Super sentai. Yes it's old but even looking past that this was not a well made series. The story is simple and it looked to be ok, but the characters are very unappealing and most of the editing feels really slap dash and jumpy: it hurt my eyes to watch it.
Choujin Sentai Jetman - the 15th super sentai and I was expecting to like it a lot more than I did. The story wasn't too shabby but what really let itself down were the characters. Apart from the Red Hawk Character the others are just lazy, douche-y or in the case of White Swan's character, just REALLY annoying.
Kamen Rider W - ok I have a series OCD problem, so the idea of a character who is literally like a pair of odd socks was never going to sit well with me, but I could look past that. Including the fact that the number of power combinations they could use were limited and so W ran out of cool tricks by episode 6. I could eve forgive the excessive amounts of lousy CGI. What really let me down about this show though was the female protagonist: a really really really irritatingly stupid bitch (that's as politely as i can put it on here). She constantly gets in the way, constantly shouts that no one told her anything and ruins the other cool characters. I couldn't bare the thought of watching more of that idiot cow.
Chouseishin Gransazer - The major problem with this series was that it wasn't very unique; basically an alternate idea on Super Sentai but with much more posturing. Some of the camera shots were cool, but the show just felt much too silly and lame frankly.
Ninpu Sentai Hurricanger - This show is stupid. Really Stupid. Idiotically so. The fight scenes were good but the characters are morons. That and the whole concept is a cross between Choujuu Sentai Liveman and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger
Engine Sentai Go-onger - The real let down of the series is that the main cast do not take the fight against evil seriously enough. They are always joking around and acting like they aren't doing anything serious at all. The talking engine zords are a pretty interesting idea, but not enough to make me want to continue watching it.
Kamen Rider Kuuga - The first series of the Heisei era Kamen Riders and an unfortunate let down. The story isn't too bad, but the fight scenes are pretty slow and unexciting: not what you want from Kamen Riders.
Madan Senki Ryukendo - not a bad series, just a bit to childish and simple in some places. Episode one set up some really cool battle between science and demons, but its just two different sides using magic in a semi lame manner. Shame really.
Kamen Rider Agito - Once again, not a bad series overall, but it is steeps in too much mystery and dark attitudes for me. Sure a challenge from the story is good, but it would be nice if there were some clue that made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment